Skip to main content

Christmas Traditions

Below is my advent tour post. For links to other great Christmas post please follow the link in my sidebar. Merry Christmas.

Advent-buttons03


I can't believe that there is only six more days until Christmas. This holiday season has been so busy and full of the Christmas Spirit.

I love this time of year with all of the hustle and bustle.

Although a little less hustle might be nice.

I even love all the holiday cheer found on the web. Reading everyone's holiday posts is one of my favorite holiday activities.

The stockings are hung, the lights are sparkling, and the Christmas tree is decorated.

Each year our Christmas tree is decorated with memories.

PB257930

PB257929

Below is our 2011 ornaments.

Each one holds a little story about our 2011 adventures.

Al and I giggled with glee when we found this Jolly old fellow.

Brent continues to love baking and preparing yummy meals. This year he ventured into pie making. Our house was full of yummy smells a hobby we all  are happy to support.

IMG_0227

My ornament was tricky I have been busy with school and will soon graduate. I'm not quite ready for an apple or graduation ornament so what best describes my year?

After months of looking I came across this ornament and loved the children constructing the snowman. I thought what better represents my building knowledge to teach children.

IMG_0327

S. is turning into a young women. Now 15 years old she keeps busy with student government, school, and church. I came across this ornament a few days after she earned her Young Women's Medallion (a recognition award from our church). I thought this was the prefect symbol of her growing up.

IMG_0331

A. is turning into such a serious guy who loves all things classical. Including playing the double bass in orchestra. This little penguin was a perfect fit for him.

IMG_0218

Al. is my crafting diva and what better to represent a craft diva than a pink sock monkey.

IMG_0220

H. is my boy boy! He is busy and active when I found this ornament I was very excited. There is a little of everything including a football. I thought for sure the little H on the boys hat was a sign.

IMG_0329
(front)

IMG_0229
(back)

I love our ornament tradition. I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday full of Christmas wishes and love.

Krissi

PS.. I have been asked more than once where I find our ornaments. I have to be honest and say it takes a long time. I spend all of October and November stocking the Christmas ornaments at every store I visit looking for the right ornament. This year our ornaments came from Pier One, Pier One, Hallmark, Michaels, Kohls, Hallmark.

Comments

Marg said…
I love this idea of buying ornaments for each person. I try to buy a new ornament every year, but I must confess that I have been pretty uninspired this year!

Thanks so much for participating in the tour again this year!
AlleluiaLu said…
I do this, too. Usually I get a different ornament for each person, but this year I found sock monkey ornaments at JC Penney and bought one for each of us -- they had names on them. My Mother used to make sock monkeys for us and I thought it was a great way to remember her. We miss her, especially at this time of year.
Memory said…
What a wonderful tradition! My mother always buys an ornament inscribed with the year during the post-holiday sales, but I don't think I'd never thought to purchase something different for each family member every year.
Tami said…
We have been collecting an ornament to represent each year since our kids were born. Last year I decided that the collection ended when we bought an ornament with their college logo. But I just couldn't give it up - so I bought them each an ornament this year.

Thanks for sharing your Christmas tradition. Great photos.

Popular posts from this blog

The Second of December

Today is already the second day of December. If I'm not careful the month is going to pass in a blink. Today is also the second day of Hanukkah. I watched the lighting of the National Menorah on TV today and realized how grateful I am to live in a country where we celebrate and embrace all different cultures, religions, and people. It is pretty awesome! I just wanted to pop in for a few minutes and say "Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!" Krissi

Ride 103.5 miles, CHECK!

Friday 9:40 am I have always lived my life defined. Meaning that I know who I am and I know my capabilities. I am perfectly aware of what I can and can not accomplish. Which is why I never do anything that I wont succeed. Also, a reason why I don't do a lot of things. A LOT! Among the definition of who I am is, "Not an athlete." Really, when we get down to it, it is the reason why I am freaking out about a 100 mile bike ride. Athletes ride a 100 miles, non-athletes aka Krissi do not ride 100 mile bike rides. It is very very simple. Yet here I am messing with my very own definition. I have every confidence that I will reach the end of the ride tomorrow. I have trained, I have worked, I have screwed with the very definition of who I am. Leaving the only option of finishing and dealing with what I have done to myself. I am positive that somewhere around 50 miles I will question and doubt my capability of finishing. I am positive that I will remember, "I am not athlete!...

Ask "the SwimMom" Holiday Edition

One thing that you may not know about me is that in my senior year of high school I worked at Baskin Robins. I scooped, dipped, mixed, and created ice cream concoctions for almost an entire year. It was the best and worst job I ever had. My favorite ice cream desserts were malts. Ummmm!!! That is why when I came across this recipe a few years later I couldn't wait to try it. That is why after I tried this recipe it became one my favorite cookie recipes. Below is the recipe for: "Chocolate Malted Cookies" 1 cup butter-flavored shortening 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar 1/2 cup malted milk powder 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 egg 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips In a mixing bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually...