Skip to main content

Choose


Lessons I learned this week.

When you are looking to get your feelings hurt, you will get your feelings hurt.
When you are looking to be offended, you will be offended.

The universe is not mysterious. What we look for we will find!

Twice this week I found myself in the position where two very distinct roads appeared in front of me. One was a road that was full of offense and one was a road without.

The first happened at Back to School night.

Obviously with any new job there comes a certain level of anticipation, anxiety, and stress. Meeting the parents of all my students was going to be a stressful night. I know that a lot of what a parent thinks about the teacher is based on those first few moments of back to school night. I was stressed, but at the same time excited. I’ve worked really hard getting ready for this night so sink or swim it was go time.

Only go time started and none of my parents were showing up. I saw the other classrooms begin to fill with parents and children but mine remained empty. As I watched parents and children enter the other rooms my mind began to race down the offense road. No one likes me, they all want different teachers for their kids, they are in the office right this second trying to transfer their children out of my class, and they all hate me.

My mind was running and my eyes were filling up with tears and suddenly I heard a voice say, “STOP!” My thoughts stopped and I looked at the clock, it was two minutes pass the start time. I was getting worked up and looking for reasons to fail. I had given myself less than a minute to succeed. When I didn’t have total success I was determined to believe the worse.

I had one more situation occur where someone called me on the carpet about something I had done.

First, they were right I did it!

Second, they totally deserved it!!!

As they were telling me what I was doing my mind was thinking, yup and you did this, and this, and this, and this, and this. 

Again I heard that voice, “STOP!”

I looked at the person I was talking to and realized it didn’t matter what they had done. It was what I had done and they were right, I had done what they were saying.

Although, I felt my reasons were legit they were hurt and offended. I too had the option to be hurt and offended. However, I knew that it was a choice and I decided to accept responsibility for what I had done. I also realized that if I had taken responsibility sooner I may have avoided all the and this, and this, and this, and this.

Like I said the universe is not as mysterious as we would all like to think. We put ourselves out there everyday. We give off feelings of love, acceptance, happiness, and faith or we choose the opposite. Whatever we choose it comes back to us.


Signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride 103.5 miles, CHECK!

Friday 9:40 am I have always lived my life defined. Meaning that I know who I am and I know my capabilities. I am perfectly aware of what I can and can not accomplish. Which is why I never do anything that I wont succeed. Also, a reason why I don't do a lot of things. A LOT! Among the definition of who I am is, "Not an athlete." Really, when we get down to it, it is the reason why I am freaking out about a 100 mile bike ride. Athletes ride a 100 miles, non-athletes aka Krissi do not ride 100 mile bike rides. It is very very simple. Yet here I am messing with my very own definition. I have every confidence that I will reach the end of the ride tomorrow. I have trained, I have worked, I have screwed with the very definition of who I am. Leaving the only option of finishing and dealing with what I have done to myself. I am positive that somewhere around 50 miles I will question and doubt my capability of finishing. I am positive that I will remember, "I am not athlete!...

Ask "the SwimMom" Holiday Edition

One thing that you may not know about me is that in my senior year of high school I worked at Baskin Robins. I scooped, dipped, mixed, and created ice cream concoctions for almost an entire year. It was the best and worst job I ever had. My favorite ice cream desserts were malts. Ummmm!!! That is why when I came across this recipe a few years later I couldn't wait to try it. That is why after I tried this recipe it became one my favorite cookie recipes. Below is the recipe for: "Chocolate Malted Cookies" 1 cup butter-flavored shortening 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar 1/2 cup malted milk powder 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 egg 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips In a mixing bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually...

The Second of December

Today is already the second day of December. If I'm not careful the month is going to pass in a blink. Today is also the second day of Hanukkah. I watched the lighting of the National Menorah on TV today and realized how grateful I am to live in a country where we celebrate and embrace all different cultures, religions, and people. It is pretty awesome! I just wanted to pop in for a few minutes and say "Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!" Krissi